Diaphonique is a bilateral fund for classical contemporary music, supporting collaborative projects between France and the UK which include commissions, concerts, tours, residencies and educative projects. Through Diaphonique we aim to :
- Foster artistic exchanges and deepen the dialogue between musicians and composers from both side of the Channel
- Promote long-lasting partnerships between French and British musical organisations
- Foster creativity by supporting commissions
- Help upcoming artists and composers in their career development
Diaphonique is supported by the Sacem, British Council, the French Ministry of Culture, Institut français, Institut français du Royaume-Uni, Le Bureau Export and Fondation Francis et Mica Salabert, and by private donors.
We consider classical contemporary music to be music composed within the last 30 years or in the process of being composed, and repertoire matching one of the following categories:
- instrumental, vocal, mixed or electro-acoustic contemporary classical music
- new forms of improvised and electronic music
- computer-assisted composition and research with multi-media tools.
Your project must show strong partnerships and create links between the two countries by:
- Encouraging an artistic collaboration between artists and/or composers across the two sides of the Channel.
- Involving new or existing works composed by British or French composers. Repertoire from both countries is preferred.
- Performing the project in France or in the UK. Projects taking place in both countries will be prioritised.
Diaphonique does not fund individual projects. Artists and composers cannot apply directly. Hosting organisations make the application, artists and composers cannot apply directly.
How to apply ?
All information and the application form are available from the Diaphonique website. The deadline for applications for 2019-2020 was 15 May 2019.
Current supported projects
- Across the Channel, a collaboration between Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and Court-Circuit ensemble in Issy-les-Moulineaux.
- A tour of Wales and England with passion, Music Theatre Wales - UK premiere of a French existing piece. Find out more.
- James Dillon : l'évolution du vol. A collaboration between Accroche Note ensemble from Strasbourg and Scottish composer James Dillon. Find out more.
- LSO Futures : Philippe Manoury's ring - London Symphonic Orchestra, UK premiere of a French existing piece. Find out more.
- 2E2M at Sound and Musiques Démesurées. A collaboration between Sound festival in Aberdeen and Musiques Démesurées festival in Clermont-Ferrand. Find out more.
- Wilde Lieder Marx Music , Birmingham Contemporary Music Group - British premiere of a French new piece. Find out more.
- Into the Vortex, Explore Ensemble - UK concerts including a French piece. Find out more.
- Everything Starts Elsewhere Lovemusic Ensemble - tour in France and the UK. Find out more
- Two coasts : Past and current streams, Layale Chaker and The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. Find out more.
- Commission to Christian Mason - International Piano Competition in Orléans. Find out more.