We have been made aware of fraudulent websites pretending to be the British Council IELTS registration sites. Please be advised that they are not associated with us in any form. We are also not responsible for the content available on these websites.
To ensure your details are safe, please only book your test by clicking on the registration link here on this site or on the TakeIELTS website.
Before you enter your personal details, please check that you are using our secure online registration system. You can do this by making sure the website address starts with “https://”. In addition fraudulent sites may use incorrect spellings in the website address, so check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
If you are not sure, please use this link to book your IELTS test
The IELTS test costs €230.
You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service. To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for candidates (PDF, 933 Kb) and the Notice to candidates (PDF, 71 Kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
Please note IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you version of the test you.
3. CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
You can check all IELTS test dates and test centres at our IELTS dates, fees and locations webpage.
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day. Currently the Speaking test for candidates in Paris are usually taking place on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or on the same day as the written tests. In Nice, it takes places Friday PM and Saturday. In all other cities it will take place on the day of the written tests.
4. PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTS FOR UPLOADING
You will need to upload the following documents when you register for your test:
- A photocopy of your identification document (your passport or European ID card)
- If you are a non-European citizen, you must also provide a copy of your visa
You may only upload one file. The scan may be a jpeg, gif or png, of at most 1600 by 1600 pixels, and less than 1.5 MB. If you are using an ID card, please arrange to include both its front and back in the scan.
5. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 4 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
6. CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
- Online through the online application form or within 5 days via your candidate area
- With a cheque made payable to 'British Council'. If you choose this method, please attach a copy of your confirmation email received after completing Step 5.
- In person at the British Council reception desk in Paris. If you want to pay in person, we accept:
- Cash (the exact amount only)
- Credit card
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30-13.00 and 14.00-17.30
- Via bank transfer
- Find out our bank details in order to make the payment
- In the REFERENCE section of payment include: 'IELTS / family name / city / test date' e.g. 'IELTS / Dupont / Lyon / 09Jan2014'.
- Email the bank transfer receipt to email@example.com with the following in the subject of your email: 'Bank transfer IELTS / surname / test date / Ref number (FR585-...)'.
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
- If you did not pay on line and you wish to pay by cheque:
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration), attach you cheque, and send it to:
9 rue de Constantine
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30-13.00 and 14.00-17.30
- If you were not able to upload your supporting documentation:
Please send them to us by email within 5 working days to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject: 'ID IELTS / surname / test date / Ref number (FR585-...)'
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
- Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. AFTER YOUR REGISTER
You will receive:
- An automatic email with your access codes to the Candidate Area
- The confirmation of your registration with your access codes to the 20 hour free online course (accessed via the candidate area): Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email two weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact our Exams services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact our exams services at email@example.com three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy at the bottom of the page prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus €50 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form available at the bottom of the page the with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date. If your request is approved, you will receive a refund of the test fee minus a €50 administration fee.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please read, complete and submit the IELTS Refund or transfer policy form available at the bottom of the page.